Q: 1. How to get the European health insurance card?


A: You can get the European health insurance card by ordering it on www.eesti.ee, by submitting an application at your local client service office of the Health Insurance Fund, or by sending an application to the Health Insurance Fund by post or by e-mail, in which case it must be digitally signed.
Q: 2. Who can apply for the European health insurance card?
A: Persons who are at least 15 years of age can apply for the European health insurance card by presenting their passport or ID-card. A parent or representative of the child can apply for the card for the child until the child is 19 years old.
Q: 3. Once the European health insurance card has been ordered, is it possible to change the mailing address where the card is sent?
A: Once the European health insurance card has been ordered, it is unfortunately not possible to change the mailing address where the card is sent. If your order the card via www.eesti.ee, then you must verify your address in the portal before submitting the application. The card is sent to the address indicated in the portal. If you order the health insurance card by other means, then it is sent to the address indicated on the application.
Q: 4. Can an Estonian citizen, who is working in another EU member state, apply for the European health insurance card from Estonia?


A: The card is issued to persons by their country of insurance (country that receives the person’s taxes). A person can be insured in only one member state. If you work in several member states, then you should turn to the Social Insurance Board to state your country of insurance. If your taxes are received by Estonia and you are insured as an employee, then you can apply for the European health insurance card from the Estonian Health Insurance Fund. Citizenship is not a deciding factor regarding health insurance.
Q: 5. A person has lost their European health insurance card and it is not possible to order a new one at www.eesti.ee – according to the portal, a valid card already exists. How to get a new health insurance card?
A: To order a new health insurance card, you must first cancel the previous one. You can do so by calling the information phone of the Health Insurance Fund at (+372) 669 6630. You can then order a new card at the state portal. You can also bring the application for the card to a client service office of the Health Insurance Fund or send it by post or e-mail, in which case it must be digitally signed. The application is available on the website of the Health Insurance Fund.


Q: 6.  If the period of validity of the EHIC is expiring and I want a new card, do I have to make a new application or can it be received on the basis of an existing card?
A: In order to receive a new EHIC you have to submit a new application. The new card can be ordered a month before the old card expires.
Q: 7. How fast can I receive EHIC and how long will it remain valid?
A: If you order EHIC to a health insurance fund office, it can be obtained in 7-10 days. When ordering your card to your home it will arrive a little bit faster. EHIC is valid for three years if the person is medically insured. For children under 19 years of age the card is issued with a validity of five years.
Q: 8Is necessary medical care free of charge when you are abroad and have a valid EHIC with you? 
A: Necessary medical care is not free - the patient must pay self-liability fees (visitation fee, in-patient fee, co-payment, etc.) according to local rates. These costs are not refundable. EHIC does not cover transport costs or private doctor fees. 
Q: 9. If a student goes studying for one semester through a student exchange program to another country outside of the EU, how will he/she get health insurance?
A: In Estonia he/she will have a valid health insurance because during the exchange program he/she will stay in his/her school list. However, EHIC does not apply outside of the EU, he/she must turn to a private insurance company and buy a travel insurance with health insurance for that period.
Q: 10. A student is starting his/her studies in an university in the EU. Will his/her health insurance be discontinued in Estonia?  How could he/she receive a health insurance while studying in another country?
A: Students (including pupils) who go to study abroad have to submit a foreign school´s certificate to the health insurance fund in order to continue their health insurance. The certificate must contain the following information: student's personal identification number, first name and last name, the data of the university and the duration of studies.

In order to receive necessary medical care in another EU country on equal terms to the insured people living there, you have to apply for an EHIC. The health insurance is formalised for 12 months maximum, therefor we ask you to remember to send a verification of your studies to the health insurance fund on each academic year.

Q: 11. How can an Estonian citizen get health insurance when he/she is planning to start working in another EU member state?
A: If an Estonian citizen starts working in another EU member state and the taxes will be paid there, he/she will receive health insurance from that state.  However he/she cannot have a existing health insurance in Estonia at the same time.
Q: 12. If a person works in several EU countries, which country will he/she receive health insurance?
A: If a person works in a number of EU member states, he/she will receive health insurance from the state where he/she pays social security contributions.
Q: 13. Can a foreigner, who is working in an Estonian company under an employment contract, receive health insurance under the same conditions as a citizen of Estonia?
A: If a person starts working under an employment contract and his social tax will be received in Estonia, then the employer shall also enlist him in Estonian Tax and Customs Board. To do this, the person should have an Estonian identification code and he/she cannot have health insurance in another EU country at the same time. Further information can be found here: http://www.haigekassa.ee/en/people/health-insurance
Q: 14. Where should a person begin and which documents he/she has to present to EHIF if he/she wishes to go abroad for a specialist doctor consultation? Does EHIF reimburse all costs?
A: In such case there are several options. Table comparing treatment options and benefits can be found here. Firstly if a person chooses to go abroad under the legislation of the Directive 2011/24, then he/she needs a referral from a family or private doctor. Persons will pay all invoices themselves on site and will be reimbursed later, reimbursements are made in accordance with the Estonian price list (co-payments and other non-medical costs such as transportation and accomodation are not reimbursed). All of the documents that a person needs to submit can be found here.

Secondly a person can submit an application to the health insurance fund under the legislation of Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 art 20 and under Health Insurance Act section 271. Applications that do not come with a council decision will be processed longer, because then the health insurance fund has to request the decision themselves. Further information can be found here.

The health insurance fund covers only the costs of people who have received the prior authorization on the basis of the form E112 or the letter of guarantee. When a person goes abroad to receive planned treatment before getting the prior authorization from EHIF and submits an application and invoices for reimbursement after the treatment, the health insurance fund cannot compensate the cost of treatment in local rates of the country that provided healthcare. In this case the compensation is only possible in accordance with the Estonian price list (legislation of the Directive 2011/24).

Q: 15. A person wants to apply for a planned treatment abroad – he/she has all the necessary documents (application, decision of the council). The operation should be carried out quickly, but the average application processing time is 30 days. What to do in this situation – is there a way to process applications faster in case of an emergency?
A: The application should be submitted to the health insurance fund as soon as possible. The council decision speeds up the process and a decision can be made as an exception.  
Q: 16.  A person, who was formerly insured by the EHIF had a scheduled operation time. Now when the person is insured in another country does he/she have to pay for the operation? 
A: In Estonia he/she will receive only necessary medical care for free, planned treatment is not free of charge. Information about reimbursement opportunities and operation time should be asked from the competent institution where he/she is insured. In this case he/she would have to go to the doctor in that country where he/she is insured. 
Q: 17. If a woman has permanently registered her place of resident in another EU member state and  is pregnant, does she have the right to receive health insurance there as an Estonian citizen? On the other hand, she wishes to see the doctor and give birth in Estonia.
A: If a person permanently starts living in another EU member state, then she should be insured by that country. While staying in Estonia she has the right to receive necessary medical care on the basis of an EHIC, issued by the state where she is insured. The person cannot be insured in both countries at the same time.

Costs related to pregnancy and childbirth shall be considered as necessary medical costs if the reason for going to another country is not solely to give birth. Exception is made when a women goes to another country to give birth for family reasons (spouse or parents are residing in another member state). In such cases, the accompanying medical care are additional to childbirth and are considered as necessary medical care, which is provided on the basis of the EHIC. The woman can give birth in Estonia on equal terms as persons insured by EHIF if she has a valid EHIC  with her. 

Q: 18. Can an Estonian citizen, who is living and working abroad and is pregnant, have free examinations when coming to Estonia? Her health insurance is not valid in Estonia because her taxes are received in another country. 
A: Since planned examinations do not qualify as necessary medical care and she does not have Estonian health insurance, she cannot have them for free.
Q: 19. An Estonian citizen wishes to take his retired mother along with her to live in Finland. Does the mother have the right to a health insurance in Finland in full amount or does she have to pay some part of the treatment herself?
A: When an Estonian pensioner receives pension from Estonia, she must apply for the form E121/S1 (application forms) from EHIF when she starts living in Finland. After the form is registered in the new country of residence she becomes entitled to all medical care equal to other pensioners of that country.
Q: 20. How can I receive the form E106/S1 from EHIF?
A: When it comes to posted workers or if the person is working in several countries at the same time, then the person firstly has to submit an application to the Social Security Office to receive the form under the A1 certificate and after that has to make an application to the health insurance fund to receive the form E106/S1. The health insurance fund proceeds from the information mentioned in the form A1 when issuing the form E106/S1. 

Once all the necessary information (the duration of the dispatch is not longer than 6 months) is available, the health insurance fund can issue the form E106/S1, which gives the person the right to register him-/herself in the dispatched country´s  health insurance institution. The form E106/S1 is sent to the employer unless it is agreed otherwise.

Moreover, addition to the posted worker, the frontier worker and person raising a child under 3 years whose employment contract has been suspended, can request the form E106/S1. They also have to submit an application to the health insurance fund.

Q: 21. How can I get the form E104 from EHIF?
A: The form E104 is issued to people upon request. Firstly the health insurance should be canceled in Estonia. According to the Population Law, when living in another EU member state you have to inform the population register about your new place of residence, the health insurance fund cannot end the insurance before this.

The form E104 confirms that your health insurance in Estonia has ended. The application to obtain confirmation can be found here. A completed application can be brought to a health insurance fund customer service office, you can also send it by post or by digitally signed e-mail. Contact information can be found here.