A pregnant woman living in Estonia and whose pregnancy has been identified by a doctor or a midwife is entitled to health insurance cover.
Applying for health insurance cover
Please submit to the EHIF's customer service the following documents:
- a document issued by a doctor or midwife verifying the pregnancy
The pregnancy verification document must contain the following information:
- name of healthcare provider;
- address of healthcare provider;
- activity license number of healthcare provider;
- name of doctor or midwife, and number of registration certificate;
- contact details of doctor or midwife;
- first name and surname of pregnant woman;
- personal identification code of pregnant woman;
- duration of pregnancy in weeks;
- estimated date of delivery;
- signature and stamp of doctor or midwife;
- date of issue of the certificate.
Commencement of health insurance cover
The insurance cover will commence as of the making of an entry on commencement of the insurance cover in the health insurance database.
EHIF will make the entry within five calendar days of receiving the correct documents.
Termination of health insurance cover
The insurance cover will terminate three months after the estimated date of delivery as determined by a doctor. After that, the state provides a woman on parental leave with health insurance cover until the child reaches the age of 3. More details can be found here.